Assignment Advice

09:45

Hello everyone!

Currently I should be writing up an assignment but due to procrastination, I thought I would share my five tips on how to complete an assignment effectively.



1. PLAN

I never used to plan my essays, I had a general guideline and I just went off with that. However, recently I have been planning my essays and have realised how much easier and efficient it is. Not only does it allow me to assess my essay in a more structured way, it also allows for all these ideas to bounce off one another creating a very cohesive essay.

2. STRUCTURE

I mean structure in two aspects. 
1. Make sure the assignment overall is very well structured with all the paragraphs flowing from one to another.
2. Make sure you structure each of those paragraphs as well. Each institution and course have their own guidelines on how to structure your paragraphs well but I tend to stick to the simplest form which is point, evidence and analyse. 

3. REFERENCING 

Every institution has their own guidelines on how to reference, what system to use and whether or not  referencing is included into the word count. At my university, referencing is included in the word count of the essay so I prefer to do this as I go along. This allows me to check my word count as i'm going along as opposed to writing everything down, leaving referencing to last and once its done, realised I've gone over the word count. Cutting down an essay is a lot of stress because you don't know what sections to keep in and what to take out so its best to avoid getting into that situation. 

4. DRAFT

Always make a rough draft copy of your essay first. Again, I was the type of person who would want it perfect from start to finish without the need of a draft. However, recently I've been just writing down all the core of my essay and then going over again and again to really perfect it.

5. RE-READ

This seems like the most boring task in the world and I'm sure no one wants to do it. Personally, when I'm finished with an essay I just want to submit it to get it out my way. But I do recommend reading it over and over again. I wouldn't advise skim reading because you might miss out on grammar mistakes or referencing mistakes which I'm sure you wouldn't want to lose marks over. Instead, I would advise reading it really thoroughly to make sure that everything makes sense, there is no grammar mistakes and that you have referenced everything.


And that sums up all my assignment tips! I know these tips sound so simple but its these are the things that I usually tend to get lazy on. 
Let me know down below if you would like a post on advise for exams and also let me know your tips and advice down below.

Thank you for reading and I hope that I have helped some of you! 

Adalias Closet





You Might Also Like

62 comments

  1. Thanks for the advice!

    http://helderschicplace.blogspot.com/2016/01/bugs-bunny.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a good plan to apprpah things :)
    Thanks a lot for your last comment : )
    Xx
    Larissa
    cenestquedelachance.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
  3. Planning was definitely one of the most important things I've learnt to do ! I always plan it in detailed bullet points and then all I have to do is add connectives :) This was a great post and I'd love to see more like this !

    Lots of love, Marianne xxx

    http://myhappybubblexx.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its definitely something that I'm glad Ive finally started doing. I always thought why would you need to waste time planning but now I understand the benefits of it! Thank you :) xx

      Delete
  4. Great post! Sounds like you know where to start :) Some things in life I'm always on top of (mostly professional, work-related stuff), but I tend to procrastinate when it comes to my personal life. It was one of my "resolutions" this year :)

    Hailey
    www.themiddlecloset.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with your resolution! :) xx

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a good plan! I won't lie, I am glad to have these days behind me. Good lick this semester!

    Amy Ann
    Straight A Style

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still have another 3 years of it aha and thank you :) xx

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the tips! I tend to try and follow these guidelines normally but I'm so bad at essays and I end up losing focus half way through them, it sucks! :(

    - Eternalleigh.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a handy blog post, thank you! Also, you're blog is so pretty!

    thejakemellor.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm the queen of procrastination, so I do understand you pretty well! Loved your tips, that kind of organization makes all the diference!

    http://fiftyshadesofpink.blogs.sapo.pt/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great tips, and good luck with your assignment! I'm such a procrastinator too!
    Rachael
    http://www.threadsforthomasblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ahh, I miss studying, I used to love writing assignments so much!

    Corinne x
    www.skinnedcartree.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? Im so bad at assignments aha xx

      Delete
  11. thank you for the tips!
    http://fashionattitudebyraych.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Number #1 is definitely the best advice for me because I NEVER plan my essays. Thanks for the tips!

    http://ermal2000.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its been such a big help for me in this academic year! xx

      Delete
  13. These are great tips! I used to try and do things in one draft as well, but now I'm a multi-draft kind of person. Less stress that way!

    Angelina Is | Bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, making the perfect essay in one draft was so much stress which is probably why I procrastinated with essays so much because I thought they had to be perfect! xx

      Delete
  14. great tips. thanks for sharing
    wendeeisaacs.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. These sound like great tips!! I try to follow something similar to them but it's definitely something I want to work on sticking with this year!!

    Katie ZZ&H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sticking to it is definitely difficult aha

      Delete
  16. Such great advices really helpful thanks for sharing.
    My blog: RumelaTheShopaholic

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is such great advice and something I wish I had read during my last year of school! xx

    http://tynnikablogs.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wooohh i miss doing assignments when i was at school\
    Cool tips dear!

    The Bandwagon Chic | Instagram | Bloglovin | Snapchat: bandwagonchic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to get rid of them! aha xx

      Delete
  19. this was helpful! x
    unicornisland22.blogpost.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. I never follow a plan hehe - thanks for the great tips

    Candice | Beauty Candy Loves

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would definitely try it, it has helped me so much! xx

      Delete
  21. Great advice, girl. Thx for sharing.
    xox
    Lenya
    FashionDreams&Lifestyle

    ReplyDelete
  22. Very helpful post, thank you!♥

    www.brooklynglam.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Excellent tips! Gemma xx
    www.jacquardflower.uk

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is so helpful!
    Elle xxx
    kateandelle.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  25. It can be boring to revise, but it's really so helpful! Great tips :)
    xo Kiki
    http://colormekiki.com/

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great tips! Also try keeping all notes together and group them (eg by colour co-ordination) in a way that helps you - perhaps by subtopics, or by which paragraph you intend to use specific points in. This makes it easier to sort through and make sense of all the research you've done, especially if you have pages and pages of it!

    ivyholly.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I tend to do that more for exam preparation :) xx

      Delete
  27. Great post. I would definitely advise getting someone else to read it though after you've read it yourself (preferably someone who knows nothing about the subject) as they can spot errors in grammar or sentence structure that you may have missed. It's easy to overlook something when you've written it yourself. :) I was always procrastinating when I was studying haha.
    hev88.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats such a good tip, thank you! xx

      Delete
  28. Great post. I would definitely advise getting someone else to read it though after you've read it yourself (preferably someone who knows nothing about the subject) as they can spot errors in grammar or sentence structure that you may have missed. It's easy to overlook something when you've written it yourself. :) I was always procrastinating when I was studying haha.
    hev88.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  29. Some great advice, just what I need as I'm currently in the middle of doing one x

    owlsinthesummer.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete